October 6, 2008

Paris, Touristy river cruise

I admit it, it was a stupid idea of mine to insist to do this tour on this particular night. Last time I was in Paris and did this it was July and France was in the middle of a heat wave. Now, despite the extreme polarlike temperature, I wanted both my sister and D to experience it. After all not only is Paris the city of love, but it is also the city of lights. Most monuments are lit at night and their splendor becomes even more obvious. The best way to discover the beauty of it, is by taking a boat ride on the Seine. Everytime I’m in Paris, I treat myself to a tour on the Vedettes du Pont-Neuf. Yes, it is a bit corny and yes it is definitely touristy, but… so what?! I even found out that you can even print out a voucher for a 2Euro discount on their website (www.vedettesdupontneuf.com). Talk about bargain traveller...


The tour starts at the Ile-de-la-Cite, right under the Pont-Neuf and goes all the way to the Eiffel Tower, passing by the Louvre, the Musee d’Orsay, Pantheon and many more and then back around the Ile-Saint-Louis, by Notre-Dame and back to the dock at Pont-Neuf, all while a friendly guide gives you a bit of trivia on what you see. It’s an hour tour during which you see many of Paris’ famous landmarks lit in the dark night. Just make sure, that unlike us, you don’t take the tour when it’s 8 degrees and windy. I was wearing open toe shoes and was seriously concerned my toes would fall off!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails