I’m not a huge fan of categorization, as I have never quit fit any label. I have never belonged to any ethnic club or community, simply because, aside from my sister, I didn’t know anyone in my
- “Where are you from?” has more than one reasonable answer
- You flew before you could walk
- You feel odd being in the ethnic majority
- You go into culture shock upon returning to your “home” country?
- You wince when people mispronounce foreign words
- You don’t know whether to write the date as day/month/year, month/day/year, or some variation thereof
- The best word for something is the word you learned first, regardless of the language
- Half of your phone calls are unintelligible to those around you
- You believe vehemently that football is played with a round, spotted ball
- You consider a city 500 miles away “very close”
- You cruise the Internet looking for fonts that can support foreign alphabets
- You think in the metric system and Celsius
- Your minor is a foreign language you already speak?
- When asked a question in a certain language, you’ve absentmindedly respond in a different one
- You speak with authority on the subject of airline travel
- You know how to pack
- You have the urge to move to a new country every couple of years?
- The thought of sending your (hypothetical) kids to public school scares you, while the thought of letting them fly alone doesn’t at all
For more on TCK check out www.tckworld.com