April 19, 2010

The evolution of Twitter




Unless you've been hiding in the woods or living under a rock, you must have noticed the hype of social media. I read somewhere that you could describe Facebook as your Home, Twitter like a Bar and LinkedIn like your Office. Now, I'm not quite yet hooked on LinkedIn (honestly I don't understand it) but I use Xing for business networking (which is the European version), but I've had Facebook for a while now and love how it put me back in touch with long lost childhood friends. Twitter is my newest addiction.

It seems like wherever you go, wherever you look Twitter is omnipresent. It's not so much about reconnecting with friends, as FB is, but more of a quick way to go through interesting sites and blogs. Some sort of newsfeed filter. My main account is used for personal and work for branding and customer service purposes, but I have a separate account solely to interact with fellow brides-to-be and get the newest on wedding inspirations, tips&tricks (twitter.com/busy_bride).
A few weeks ago, I got one of these forward-emails entitles "The 46 Stages of Twitter".

I have to admit that I am at stage 38, but just because I check my work emails first thing when I wake up.

1. Hear the word Twitter. Scoff.
2. Hear it again from someone else. Scoff again.
3. Hear about famous celebrity who is apparently "On Twitter." Scoff, but make mental note to check it out.
4. Log into Facebook to comfort self.
5. Sign up for Twitter.
6. Give up because it seems dumb.
(...)
20. Log off for 4 months.
21. Come back, just to see.
22. Post something relatively funny.
23. Get RT'd.
24. Discover that RT means ReTweet.
25. Make it your life mission to get RT'd.
26. Install Twitter app on your phone.
27. No longer ashamed to say "I've gotta Twitter that."
(...)
34. Compulsively check phone all day every day.
35. Tweet that you compulsively check phone all day every day.
36. Alienate actual people in your life in an attempt to impress ones you don't know.
37. Lose weight because you forget to eat.
38. Place phone by bed so you can check first thing in the morning.
39. Defend Twitter to the death from detractors.
(...)
46. Twitter it.

What can I say? I'm a geek and proud of it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails